WASHINGTON – Today, CTIA Wireless Foundation™ announced five senior executives from the wireless, automotive and advertising industries will determine the grand prize winner and finalists for the “Drive Smart: No Distractions, No Excuses” teen digital short contest.
- Meredith Attwell Baker is President and CEO of CTIA and President of CTIA Wireless Foundation where she’s used her extensive experience in wireless policy to make safe driving a top priority for both organizations.
- Kathy Bernstein-Harris is the Program Director for teen driving initiatives at the National Safety Council where she’s also developed an online community for parents of teen drivers.
- Karen Kovacs North is the Director of USC Annenberg’s Digital Social Media program and a professor in the School of Communication with experience in telecommunications policy and digital strategy.
- Stephen McMennamy is Senior Vice President Creative Director at BBDO ATL where he has developed award-winning campaigns for a variety of clients, including AT&T, Dell Computers, Delta Airlines, Capital One and ESPN.
- Paul Scullion is Safety Manager at Global Automakers where he supports legislative and regulatory activities impacting vehicle safety, including the policy issue of driver distraction.
Through a partnership with By Kids For Kids, CTIA Wireless Foundation created the Drive Smart campaign to enlist young people to develop compelling videos that discourage their peers from driving while distracted.
CTIA Wireless Foundation received 401digital short submissions from 28 states. These entries will be evaluated based on creativity, communicative effectiveness and potential impact on teens. In addition to the grand prize winner of $5,000, there will be two runner-ups and three semifinalists, awarded $1,000 and $500 respectively.
Contest winners will be announced in April, distracted driving awareness month.
About CTIA Wireless Foundation
CTIA Wireless Foundation (www.wirelessfoundation.org) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to developing and supporting initiatives that use wireless technology to help American communities. Its innovative programs benefit consumers in areas including education, health, safety and the environment. The Foundation was formed by CTIA® member companies in 1991.
CTIA Wireless Foundation: Amy Storey, [email protected], 202-736-3207
About By Kids For Kids
By Kids for Kids® (BKFK®) is an agency that empowers youth invention, innovation, and entrepreneurship. BKFK provides a unique platform for kids and teens to develop and showcase their ideas, inventions, and entrepreneurship. The company provides free educational resources, including curricula and challenges that promote social change, product innovation, and entrepreneurial endeavors. Learn more: www.bkfk.com.
BKFK: Judy Klym, [email protected], 203-921-9039